Buddhism in Practice (Princeton Readings in Religions)
|List price||Net price:||Discount:|
This anthology illustrates the vast scope of Buddhist practice in Asia, past and present, by presenting a selection of forty-eight translated texts including hagiographies, monastic rules, pilgrimage songs, apocryphal sutras, and didactic tales from India, China, Japan,Korea, Tibet, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Burma. Most of these pieces have never before been translated into a Western language, and each is preceded by a substantial introduction by its translator. Together they are designed to do nothing less than reshape the way in which Buddhism is understood.
These unusual sources provide the reader with a sense of the remarkable diversity of the practices of persons who over the course of 2,500 years have been identified, by themselves or by others, as Buddhists. In this rich variety there are often contradictions, such that the practices of one Buddhist community might seem strange or unfamiliar to another. At the same time, however, there is evidence here of many continuities among the practices of Buddhist cultures widely separated by both history and topography. From 'A Hymn of Praise to the Buddha's Good Qualities' through 'On Becoming a Buddhist Wizard' to Death-Bed Testimonials of the Pure Land Faithful', the selections are here are an ideal introduction to Buddhism and a source of new insights for scholars.
Princeton Readings in Religions
Note on Transliteration
Contents by Vehicle
Contents by Country
Introduction - Donald S. Lopez, Jr.
1. A Hymn of Praise to the Buddha's Good Qualities—Paul J. Griffiths
2. Consecrating the Buddha—Donald K. Swearer
3. Sutra on the Merit of Bathing the Buddha—Daniel Boucher
4. Reading Others' Minds—Carl Bielefeldt
5. The Prayer of the Original Buddha—Matthew Kapstein
6. Myoe's Letter to the Island—George J. Tanabe, Jr.
7. The TATHAGATAGARBHA SUTRA—William H. Grosnick
8. The Whole Universe as a Sutra—Luis O. Gomez
9. Gotami's Story—Jonathan S. Walters
10. The Great Bliss Queen—Anne C. Klein
11. Story of Simhala, the Caravan Leader—Todd T. Lewis
12. A Prayer for the Long Life of the Dalai Lama—Donald S. Lopez Jr.
13. Chinese Women Pilgrims' Songs Glorifying Guanyin—Chun-fang Yu
14. A Mahayana Liturgy—Luis O. Gomez
15. A Discussion of Seated Zen—Carl Bielefeldt
16. The Way to Meditation—Donald K. Swearer
17. Buddhism and the State in EarlyJapan—
William E. Deal
18. Original Enlightenment Thought in the Nichiren Tradition—Jackie Stone
19. The Matsumoto Debate—George J. Tanabe, Jr.
20. A Prophecy of the Death of the Dharma—Jan Nattier
21. The Book of Resolving Doubts Concerning the
Semblance Dharma—Kyoko Tokuno
22. A Heretical Chinese Buddhist Text—Jamie Hubbard
23. Eschatology in the Wheel of Time Tantra—John Newman
24. Atisa's A LAMP FOR THE PATH TO AWAKENING—Ronald M. Davidson
25. The Advice to Layman Tundila—Charles Hallisey
26. The Legend of the Iron Stupa—Charles Orzech
27. Two Tantric Meditations: Visualizing the Deity—Luis O. Gomez
28. The Story of the Horn Blowing—Todd T. Lewis
29. A Summary of the Seven Books of the Abhidhamma—Donald K. Swearer
30. On Becoming a Buddhist Wizard—Patrick Pranke
31. Pure Land Buddhist Worship and Meditation in China—Daniel B. Stevenson
32. Aryadeva and Candrakirti on Self and Selfishness—Karen Lang
33. A Modern Sermon on Merit Making—Donald K. Swearer
34. Saramati's ENTERING INTO THE GREAT VEHICLE—Ronald M. Davidson
35. Auspicious Things—Charles Hallisey
36. Tales of the Lotus Sutra—Daniel B. Stevenson
37. Daily Life in the Assembly—T. Griffith Foulk
38. Deaths, Funerals, and the Division of Property in a Monastic Code—Gregory Schopen
39. A Rite for Restoring the Bodhisattva and Tantric Vows—Donald S. Lopez, Jr.
40. Awakening Stories of Zen Buddhist Women—Sallie King
41. The Chinese Life of Nagarjuna—Roger Corless
42. Atisa's Journey to Sumatra—Hubert Decleer
43. Bimba's Lament—Donald K. Swearer
44. Hagiographies of the Korean Monk Wonhyo—Robert E. Buswell, Jr.
45. The Illustrated Biography of Ippen—Dennis Hirota
46. Account of the Buddhist Thaumaturge Baozhi—Alan J. Berkowitz
47. Buddhist Chaplains in the Field of Battle—Sybil Thornton
48. Death-Bed Testimonials of the Pure Land Faithful—Daniel B. Stevenson